Publisher: Philadelphia: Grace Greenwood and L.K. Lippincott, 1853-1856.
Edition: An unbroken run of the first four years of this monthly literary periodical for children, edited by Sara Jane Lippincott and published by her and her husband, Leander K. Lippincott.
Condition: Binding a little worn; some foxing; very good copy.
Book ID: 27257
DescriptionLarge 4to, 39 issues bound in contemporary black quarter calf, marbled paper boards, gilt rules and lettering. Illustrations by George T. Devereux and F.O.C. Darley, among others. At the foot of the spine is the gilt-stamped name "Bessie Brown," and on the front blank is the inscription "Eliza B. Jeanes to her niece Bessie Brown."
CommentsThe Little Pilgrim was first published in 1853, with three monthly issues in the fourth quarter of that year. In January 1854, the Lippincotts confusingly began the serial again with volume 1, number 1, thus leaving an odd three-issue volume 1 from 1853, but the 1854 issues were clearly a continuation of the three earlier ones. The Little Pilgrim was an impressive eight-page quarto newspaper, and while it was written mostly by Sara Jane Lippincott under her well-known pseudonym “Grace Greenwood,” she attracted original contributions from Whittier, Longfellow, James T. Fields, Lydia Sigourney, Bayard Taylor and Lucy Larcom, among others. The three issues from 1853 were not illustrated, but beginning in January, 1854, each issue was adorned with a masthead by F.O.C. Darley and woodcuts by George Devereux and others. The Little Pilgrim avoided a religious tone, as stated by the publishers in each issue: "It is not our intention to discuss profound religious doctrine or political problems with our young readers." The Little Pilgrim ceased publication in 1868; the first three volumes for 1854-1856 are very scarce, and they are rarely accompanied by the three earlier issues present here.